August 15-21, 2021.
The Salish Sea Lantern Festival is an annual celebration of art, culture, and light that is presented by ArtSea Community Arts Council. The festival is in the 8th year, and although the evening gathering will be postponed until 2022, we are excited to present the Week of Lanterns Festival during one week in August. We look forward to seeing the unique lanterns and creative displays set up by members of the community for everyone to enjoy. Don’t for get to light up your lanterns each night at 7pm!
Wondering how you can participate in the festival or enjoy the lantern displays? Here is a quick overview – click any of the drop-down menus below to learn more.
- Watch a lantern tutorial and build your own lanterns to display during the Week of Lanterns Festival, or get inspired and create your own design
- Pick up a Jellyfish Lantern Kit, which includes all materials needed to create a beautiful, yet quick and easy jellyfish lantern
- Looking for a creative challenge? Sign up for an online lantern building class to build a complex fish lantern
- Submit photos of your lantern creations or lantern displays – we will add your photos to the interactive map and share them on our website and social media channels so that everyone can enjoy your creations
- Share the location of your lantern display to be added to the interactive map so that we can share your creations with the community (to enjoy from home, or by using the map to navigate to the display in person).
- Display your creations! Lanterns can be displayed on front lawns, hung from a balconies, or displayed in front windows and porches.
Welcome to our New Partners!
In 2021, ArtSea is excited to collaborate with arts councils on Vancouver Island and Salt Spring Island that will be and joining this magical celebration of art, light, and culture by presenting Week of Lanterns Festival in their communities, August 15-21, 2021.
ArtSea is fortunate to operate within the unceded territory of the Coast Salish People – within the traditional territory of the W̱SÁNEĆ Nation – Pauquachin, Tsartlip, Tsawout and Tseycum peoples.
ArtSea would like to thank our Provincial and Municipal Partners!
We acknowledge the financial support of the Province of British Columbia, as well as the municipalities of North Saanich, Central Saanich, and the Town of Sidney.